5 Tips on Controlling Nuisance Insects
It will officially be the Summer soon and that means the nuisance insects are arriving. You may start noticing mosquitoes while you are grilling out or sipping an iced tea on the back patio. Hopefully you don’t start finding ticks on the children’s clothes or fleas on the dog after it comes back inside. Maybe some spiders are creeping you out inside. Here are some tips on keeping these nuisance insects away from your property.
1) Eliminate Poor Drainage Areas – Mosquitoes love to breed in areas with standing water. Even if that water is the size of a bottle cap. If your property has poor drainage, redirect the water somewhere else. Clean up kid pools, buckets, random debris and turn over anything that could hold water.
2) Weed Trim Tall Vegetation – Cut high vegetation or even eliminate it. Tall grass/weeds can attract ticks and other insects to your property. Trim these areas down and eliminate their ideal habitat so they move on.
3) Trim Back Bushes and Trees by the Home – Don’t allow insects to enter the home by branches or hide in untrimmed bushes up against the house. Keep all the bushes trimmed and clean up any debris that may hold moisture or provide a shady area that some insects love.
4) Clean the Gutters – Don’t allow gutters to become clogged. This can provide a perfect breeding area for mosquitoes. If the downspouts are not working, you have another potential problem area to be concerned with.
5) Use Natural Plants/Oils to Help Deter Insects – There are many plants associated with repelling insects like lavender, rosemary, citronella, lemongrass, and others like basil even. Cedar chips or cedar oil can also be used to help fend off some of the nuisance insects.
PureLawn offers monthly sprays from May-September that can help deter these nuisance insects from your property too. We use traditional products, but also offer natural sprays that contain ingredients like rosemary, wintergreen, and peppermint oils. Contact us for a free quote for your property.